Position title: Writer/Editor/Designer
Position type: Project-based independent
Position function: The individual serves in the
development, implementation, and quality assurance of the College’s
print and digital publications.
Organizational Structure: The individual is assigned to the
Office of the Dean and works under the direction of the Associate
Dean for Administration and Fiscal Affairs.
Job Purpose: help us create bold, strategic, and persuasive
marketing copy that furthers the College’s position as a health
care educator - in print, online, and in presentations. The
Writer/Editor is expected to write, edit, and proofread copy for
the College print and digital publications to ensure accuracy of
content, effectiveness of message, and consistency of style.
Writer/Editor Job Duties:
- Provides creative input contributing to the development of
print and digital publications, marketing materials, and
advertising for the College.
- Gathers information as needed and writes copy that informs and
- Edits copy provided by others to ensure accuracy, clarity,
grammatical correctness, effectiveness for given purpose and
audience, and adherence to university style.
- Proofreads typeset copy.
- Manages multiple projects to meet scheduled
- Illustrates a visual concept for print and digital material
regarding design, copy arrangement, font size and type, and related
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be available during University business hours Monday –
Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years' experience in professional
editing and writing;
- Higher education or healthcare experience background strongly
- Journalism and communications experience strongly
- Superior writing, editing, proofreading, and copyediting
- Impeccable attention to detail including grammar, punctuation,
- Curiosity, adaptability, good judgment, and
- Strong creative, analytical, and communication
- Must be a self-starter, independent thinker, manage multiple
projects, meet deadlines;
- Familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign;
preferred, but not required;
- A strong portfolio demonstrating professional writing
style and marketing abilities;
- Photography experience preferred, but not required.
Please email your letter of interest, resume, salary
history and list of three references to
Associate Dean, Administration and Fiscal
College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
St. John's University
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439