Book Manuscript and Articles
- Manuscript: A “Great Rural Civilization” for White
Southerners: Agrarianism and Rural Segregationist Ideology in the
- “Southern Segregation, South Africa-Style: Maurice Evans,
Clarence Poe, and the Ideology of Rural Segregation”
Agricultural History (Spring 2013).
- “Tuning the Core: History, Assessment, and the St. John’s
University Core Curriculum” by Elaine Carey, Tracey Anne Cooper,
Elizabeth Herbin-Triant, Philip Misevich, and Alejandro Quintana
Perspectives on History (April 2013).
- Review of The Problem South: Region, Empire, and the New
Liberal State, 1880-1930 (by Natalie Ring) in The Journal
of Southern History (August 2013).
- Review of Twilight on the South Carolina Rice Fields:
Letters of the Heyward Family, 1862-1871 (edited by Margaret
Belser Hollis and Allen H. Stokes) in The Journal of Southern
History (November 2011).
- Review of Southern Modernist: Arthur Raper from the
New Deal to the Cold War (by Louis Mazzari) in
Agricultural History (Winter 2009).
- Review of Next Year Country: Dust to Dust in Western
Kansas, 1890-1940 (by Craig Miner) in Environmental
History (January 2008).
- Review of Converging Stories: Race, Ecology, and
Environmental Justice in American Literature (by Jeffrey
Myers) in The Southern Historian, Spring 2006.
- “T.M. Campbell.” Entry
in the African American National Biography, edited by
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Evelyn Higginbotham (Oxford UP,
- “Martin Luther King, Jr.” in The African-American
Century: How Black Americans Have Shaped Our Country, Henry
Louis Gates, Jr. and Cornel West (Simon & Schuster, 2002).