B.S., State University at Albany
M.S., St. John's University
Ph.D., St. John's University
Associate Professor and Chair
I am currently interested in the synthesis, reactions, and
medicinal applications of a-lactams. a-Lactams, also known as
aziridinones, are three-membered rings containing the amide
functional group. Due to their highly strained ring, a-lactams can
lead to interesting chemical reactions and can potentially possess
desirable medicinal effects, such as anticancer or antibiotic
properties. If you are interested in the synthesis and
characterization of organic compounds, their stereochemistry, or
their medicinal properties, then a research project in my lab might
- Ceasre, V., Sadarangani, I., Rollins, J., and Costello, D.;
"The Synthesis and Isolation of N-tert-Butyl-2-phenylsuccinamic
Acid and N-tert-Butyl-3-phenylsuccinamic Acid. An Undergraduate
Organic Chemistry Laboratory Experiment." J. Chem. Educ., 2004, xx,
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., and Taldone, T.; "A Direct Link
Between the Passerini Rection and a-Lactams." Tetrahedron, 2004,
- Ceasre, V., Taldone, T., and Lengyel, I.; "About the Factors
which Govern the Ring-Opening of a-Lactams with Primary Amines: II.
The Relative Basicity of the Amine." Heterocycles, 2002, 57,
- Ceasre, V., Lyons, T. M., and Lengyel, I.; "A High-Yielding
General Synthesis of a-Lactams." Synthesis, 2002, 1716-1720.
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., Chen, S., and Taldone, T.; "About the
Factors which Govern the Ring-Opening of a-Lactams with
Benzylamine: The Relative Stability of the a-Lactam and the
Substituent on Nitrogen." Heterocycles, 2002, 57, 677-695.
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., Adams, I., and Taldone, T.; "About
Four New Tritysubstituted a-Lactams." Heterocycles, 2002, 57,
- Stephani, R., Ceasre, V., Sadarangani, I., Lengyel, I.;
"Synthesis of New Optically Active and Racemic Phenylsuccinamic
Acids," Synthesis, manuscript accepted October 2001.
- Cesare, V., Costello, D., Rollins, J.; Organic Chemistry
Laboratory Mannual, Pearson Custom Publishing, Boston, 2001.
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., Taldone, T., Uliss, D.; "The
Synthesis, Physical and Spectral Properties, and Some Reactions of
a New Stable bis-a-lactam (Aziridinone) with a Terene Skeleton,"
Synth. Commun., 2001, 31(23), 103-115.
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., Karram, H., Taldone, T.; "About
1-Triphenylmethyl-3-tert butylaziridinone and Some of Its
Reactions," J. Heterocyclic Chem., 2001, 38, 997-1002.
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., Taldone, T.; "About the Reaction of
2,3-dibromo-2-methyl-N-(1-adamantyl)-propanamide with Sodium
tert-Butoxide. A Competition Experiment," Synth. Commun., 2001,
- Stephani, R. and Ceasre, V.; "Enantiomeric enrichment of
non-racemic antihistamines by achiral high performance liquid
chromatography," J. Chromatog. A, 1998, 813, 79-84.
- Lengyel, I., Ceasre, V., Stephani, R.; "t-Butyl hypochlorite: A
powerful electrophilic aromatic ring chlorinating agent," Synth.
Commun., 1998, 28(10), 1891-1896.
- Stephani, R. and Cesare, V.; "Resolution of racemic
phenylsuccinic acid using (-)-proline as the resolving agent: An
introductory laboratory experiment." J. Chem. Educ., 1997, 74,
Victor Cesare, Ph.D, Associate Professor & Chair
St. John's University, Department of Chemistry
8000 Utopia Parkway
Jamaica, NY 11439-0001
Location: SAH Room 326
Hours: Mon. - Thurs., 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fri., 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Phone: (718) 990-5692
Fax: (718) 990-1876