The program will prepare graduates
Demonstrate knowledge of content and pedagogy of academic
instruction in adolescent education.
- Demonstrate knowledge of theories pertaining to adolescents and
- Identify theories and models for teaching students with
diverse learners and students at risk and their application in
- Use the principles of scientifically based research to obtain
valid knowledge about instruction and assessment in the middle and
high school grades.
- Use the findings of scientifically based research and best
practices in the field and demonstrate the effect of these changes
on content and pedagogy
Demonstrate knowledge of
- Describe characteristics of the age group that may include but
need not be limited to ethnicity, race, religion and gender and how
they affect pedagogy
- Demonstrate knowledge of the expected skills and knowledge base
of students in your discipline
Demonstrate the ability to effectively utilize a wide range of
instructional practices, approaches, methods and materials to
support middle school and high school instruction in the classroom,
including those from each specific discipline’s guiding
- Describe types of instructional practices, approaches and
methods used to teach content.
- Apply instructional practices in practicum settings.
- Compare and contrast effectiveness of a variety of teaching
- Demonstrate how research findings of professional organizations
can be used to strengthen and update professional practice.
Formulate a plan of instruction to teach and/or provide
differential instruction of a given content as prescribed in the
state standards for middle school and/or high school learning.
- Prepare instructional plans appropriate to meet the needs of
all students, including those from different cultural and
linguistic backgrounds, and with learning difficulties.
- Describe a learning environment that fosters academic
achievement by assessing the level of prior knowledge, and using
available materials, resources and/or technology.
- Demonstrate the use of technology as it applies to the specific
- Explain differences in technological hardware and
software relevant in the field.
Formulate a plan of instruction plan that demonstrates the
Vincentian value of service to the field of education as it applies
to the content area.
- Describe various ways in which service opportunities can be
applied in your content area.
- Demonstrate understanding of the Vincentian value of service by
completing a service-learning project and/or participating in a
community related charitable scenario.