Teaching and Learning Labs
Funded by The Richmond County Savings Foundation of Staten Island (RCSF), our education classes have access to state-of-the-art Teaching and Learning Labs complete with an Educational Resource Center, Smart boards, podcasting and the latest educational technology to provide pre-service teachers with an understanding of how to engage students in the 21st Century.
Uses of the Teaching and Learning Labs include:
- Undergraduate and graduate course work
- A resource center for both undergraduate and graduate students and faculty
- A facility for field work to be done by St. John’s graduate students in the evening with children from the community
- A family resource center that would encourage parental involvement in the form of parent workshops as well as parent and child engagement workshops
- A demonstration area for Smartboard technology
These labs provide sound pedagogical practices and immerse St. John’s students in technology enhanced environments characteristic of those that future educators will encounter at the primary, elementary, middle and secondary levels.
To read more about the Smart Classrooms, click here.
Education Video Game Lab/Course
A cutting edge research facility enables our students to stretch the boundaries of knowledge, and explore how video games can be used for teaching and learning.
Additionally, The School of Education introduced New Media, Virtual Environments and 21st Century Learning, a new course built around the premise that video games possess academic benefits, such as motivating and engaging students, enhancing critical thinking and supporting bilingual and second language education.
To read more about our Media Course and Game Lab, click here.