Dignity for All Students Act (DASA)
Training in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Discrimination in Schools: Prevention and Intervention
Information for Applicants for Certification
Effective December 31, 2013 all applicants for any NY State Certification and licensure [classroom teaching, administrative and supervisory, and pupil personnel service (e.g., school counselor, psychologist, social worker)] are required to complete six clock hours of coursework or training in accordance with Article 2 Sections 10-18 of the Education Law. This training is available only from a provider approved by the New York State Education Department. St. John’s University, under the direction of Dr. Gina Cicco, has been approved to be a provider and offers the 6 hour training workshop to current students and SJU alumni free of charge. In order to receive a letter of completion, you are required to complete all 6 hours of training from St. John’s. No credit will be given if you complete any portion of the training through another provider. The fee for all others taking the course is $75 payable by money order to St. John’s University upon admission to the in-person workshop, which will be only after completing the online portion.
IMPORTANT: The coursework consists of 2 mandatory modules which MUST be completed in the following order:
1) Online workshop of self-guided readings and assessment exam (You must take and pass the online exam at least one week before you will be given a confirmed date to attend the in-person workshop. You can take the exam as many times as needed.)
2) 3 hour in-person workshop, offered on selected weekends/weekday evenings (You may not attend an in-person workshop without completing the online portion of the training. You will receive an email confirming your choice of dates only after you complete the online assessment exam.)
Upon completion of the in-person workshop, the provider will electronically submit your certification to New York State. Please allow for up to one week from the next business day for it to appear on your online TEACH account.
You will also receive a letter of completion for your own records, as well as for current or prospective employers. Please note that this document is NOT submitted to New York State.
How to Register for the DASA Certification
- Please go this website to start registration. https://dasa.coursesites.com/
- Click on the “The New York State Dignity for All Students Act” listed under My Courses.
- Click on “Self Enroll”
- Save this webpage as a favorite, because after registration you will click “Login as Enrolled Student” instead of self enroll to log back into the system.
- Enter the access code: 5TJ0HN5!
- Please note if you are getting this by email, you need to copy and paste the entire code.
- Please note that if you are typing this out the 0 in the code is the number ZERO.
- Click on “Need a CourseSites Account”
- Even if you have an account from previous website activity in the past you need to create a new account.
- Do NOT create a new account using Blackboard, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Windows Live, or Yahoo!
- Under the field Email address, use a valid email address that you check frequently. Please double check your email address for typos, as we send out communications directly through the website.
- Under username please create a username of your choosing.
- Please write down your username and password as you will need them to log in to the website at future dates.
- After you complete the registration page, please click on submit.
Please note that if you are NOT a St. John’s University Student/Alumni you will have to pay $75 by Money Order made out to St. John’s University due at the in-person workshop component of certification.
If you have questions about registration please email email@example.com or call 718-990-8334
The following is a link to a video tutorial to assist with the registration process: