Becoming certified to teach in New York State is an important step leading to a rewarding and challenging career, subject to many state and federal regulations. It is your responsibility to keep informed of the most current requirements, laws and regulations that affect your teaching career and your future.
Our Certification Officers, in conjunction with this website, will make every attempt to assist you as well as provide important information, and direct you to available resources.
However, you must check the NYSED website frequently for updates that may affect you.
- JULY 2015: Recently posted information about the edTPA safety net
- JUNE 2015: NYSED announces updates to the safety net process:
- MAY 2015: NYSED Board of Regents creates "safety net" for individuals who fail to pass new teacher certification exams.
- APRIL 2015: NYSED announces extension to edTPA/ATS-W safety net until June 30, 2016
You are strongly encouraged to contact the appropriate Certification Officer in The School of Education at St. John’s University to assist you with questions concerning certification for your specific area:
- Teaching Fellows Transitional B certification, Initial/Professional Certification of Teaching Fellows and Internship Requests
Mr. Anthony Napoli – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sullivan Hall Room 528, 718 990-5817
- All Undergraduates, combined BSED/MSED, and Master’s Career Change initial/professional certification (Queens and Oakdale students)
Dr. Mirella Avalos-Louie – email@example.com
Sullivan Hall Room 530, 718 990-1467
- All Education Specialties: Literacy, TESOL, Special Ed, Counseling and SBL, SDL, Gifted, Library and Speech (Queens and Oakdale students)
Mrs. JeanMarie Ignatiadis – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sullivan Hall 5th Floor, 718 990-2506
- All Staten Island Students
Dr. Rosette Allegretti - email@example.com
Flynn Hall Room 102, 718 390-4130
Mrs. Fay Dimino - firstname.lastname@example.org
Flynn Hall Room 102, 718 390-4506
- For general issues related to certification or to request an ALST Safety Net Attestation
Coordinator of Certification, Accreditation and Program Registration
Mrs. Nancy Garaufis – email@example.com
Sullivan Hall Room 507, 718 990-7559
Steps to Certification
The Initial Certificate is the entry level teacher certification in NY State and is valid for five years. It is the first step toward a Professional Certification which you need in order to maintain your teaching license in New York State.
School Counselors will receive a provisional certificate upon completion of their master’s program and are expected to progress to Permanent Certification to retain their license.
AS OF JUNE 1, 2014 ALL INDIVIDUALS SEEKING INITIAL, PROFESSIONAL, PROVISIONAL, or PERMANENT CERTIFICATION WILL BE REQUIRED TO SHOW PROOF OF COMPLETING THE DASA WORKSHOP BEFORE OUR CERTIFICATION OFFICERS CAN PROVIDE AN INSTITUTIONAL ENDORSEMENT UNDER THE APPROVED PROGRAM PREPARATION PATHWAY. WE ARE UNABLE TO MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS REQUIREMENT.
For more information about specific NYS Certification requirements, click on the image below:
All applications for certification are submitted using the TEACH Online System.
For important updates, general information and to apply for certification, go to the Office of Teaching Initiatives of the New York State Department of Education (NYSED).
For Initial Certification you must click on the steps below marked Required.