While many older and second-career students go back to college to enhance their professional opportunities, Robert A. Coli ‘05CPS had achieved considerable business success when he made the...
Television and Film, Bachelor of Science
St. John’s University possesses a history of excellence in television and film offers students a thorough understanding of the industry, hands-on experience with state-of-the art equipment and dynamic internships in New York City, the information and media capital of the world.
Entertainment is the second largest revenue-producing industry in New York City and State. Experts predict that employment will continue to grow over the next 20 years.
You can discover a world of opportunity by earning your Bachelor of Science Degree in Television and Film at St. John's. Offered by the College of Professional Studies, the 126-credit program in Television and Film provides in-depth knowledge of and experience in fields such as film production, advertising, media graphics, broadcast journalism, public relations, television and video production. You take courses in hands-on production, media writing, industry organization and procedures, media history and aesthetics. In this major, Television and Film, you can chose Film production, Film Studies or Television Production. You complete this program with the major in Television and Film but you can have a strong concentration in film production or television production or film studies.
Whichever you choose, you receive all the preparation and training needed for a successful career in the highly competitive fields of Film and/or Television. You also will enjoy the benefits of our acclaimed faculty of scholars-practitioners, who have substantial experience in the field and important relationships throughout the industry.
Prof. Alla Baeva
Director of Program / Director of Internships
For more information about admission to this and other acclaimed undergraduate programs at St. John’s University, please visit Undergraduate Admission online. Or contact us directly at the campus of your choice:
Admission Office - Queens Campus
Admission Office - Staten Island campus
As our faculty prepares you for your career in television and film, they will help you meet the following objectives:
- training in all relevant production techniques such as camerawork, lighting, editing, sound recording and mixing, and more
- intensive classroom instructions detailing the history of film production, television, radio, and web-based media
- opportunities for hands-on learning at St. John’s University’s state-of-the art Television Center, both through classroom instruction and extracurricular participation in WRED-TV
- courses in management, marketing and business of media as the industry values professionals with strong business skills
Global Approach to Education
Students also benefit from St. John's focus on an international academic experience. The University offers extensive study abroad courses during the academic year as well as the winter and summer semesters. Students can live and learn at St. John's Rome campus (Italy) and in Paris (France).
The following courses are designed and have been offered for students with the major of Television and Film:
- COM 8000 - Communications in India
- COM 8001 - Mass Media in Russia
- COM 8003 - Mass Media in Italy
- COM 8006 - Communications in France
Besides, students can choose from any other (required) classes – foreign languages, culture, literature, history - and from various elective courses offered abroad.
Television and Film students at St. John's gain direct experience at the state-of-the-art broadcast studio and post production labs on our Queens campus, which include computer animation, motion graphics, special effects, green screen and other cutting-edge technologies needed for success in the broadcast industries.
Students also enjoy outstanding internship opportunities thanks to our faculty's extensive professional connections in the New York area's world-class television, radio and film industries. Our students have interned at CNN, NBC, MTV, HBO, A&E, Daily Show, Colbert Report, David Letterman’s Show, Steiner Studios, Miramax and other leading media organizations throughout the New York City metropolitan area.
Students gain an academic and professional edge by joining any of St. John's more than 180 student clubs and organizations. The College of Professional Studies offers membership in clubs and societies of special interest to Television and Film majors:
- St. John's University Television Club (WRED): members prepare for the competitive television/media industry by providing access to St. John's state-of-the-art equipment. Students are able to write, direct, product, edit and act in video productions.
- The Society for Performing and Communications Arts: students develop independent projects to broaden their academic, creative and professional growth, as well as promote their work through the coordination of film festivals, the staging of plays, and visual art exhibitions.
- WSJU: the student-run campus radio station offering academic credit and practical broadcast experience for students interested in the field of radio.
Students also may qualify for any of St. John's varied honor societies. For example, you can apply to The College of Professional Studies Honor Society, which recognizes undergraduates who demonstrate academic excellence and involvement in campus, community and church activities.
Other facilities include high-tech classrooms, computer laboratories and our 1.7 million-volume University Library. Our new D’Angelo Center is a five-story, 127,000-square-foot University and Student Center with classrooms, lecture halls, a Starbucks Café and a full-service food court.
Students take advantage of St. John’s location in dynamic New York City. Our faculty and Career Center have strong ties to employers and other professional and educational resources throughout the New York area. Students also make New York their classroom through innovative courses like Discover New York.