Computer Science, Associate of Science
The central goal of the A.S. degree in Computer Science in the College of Professional Studies is to prepare students either to enter the job market or to move on to a 4-year degree program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with the Business Option, or to another related 4-year degree program at St. John’s.
For more information about admission to this and other acclaimed undergraduate programs at St. John’s University, please visit Undergraduate Admission online. Or contact us directly at the campus of your choice:
Admission Office - Queens Campus
Admission Office - Staten Island campus
The program will prepare graduates to:
Demonstrate understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles underlying the discipline of computer science.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the physical and logical principles that determine how computers work.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the basic mathematics employed in computer science.
- Explain the key logical constructs that underlie all computer programming.
Demonstrate analytical skills necessary to apply the fundamentals of computer science to the solution of problems within a technical environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, explain, and apply fundamental structured programming techniques
- Apply mathematical concepts to technical problem solving situations.
- Develop computer programs using procedural programming techniques.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and communication skills required in a technical environment.