Internships and Graduate Assistantships
All CPS students are eligible for non-academic internships. Career Services offers more information about the nonacademic internships available to CPS students.
An academic internship is a credit based work experience whereby students receive training and gain valuable experience in a specific career area under the supervision of a specialist in that particular field.
College of Professional Studies – Highlights of the Academic Internship Program
- Internships are available to selected students enrolled in most of the Bachelor of Science degree programs of the College of Professional Studies.
- Program Directors approve the internship based on the student's completion of essential pre-requisite courses in their major and achievement of a qualifying cumulative GPA.
- The internship experience for selected students is supervised and considered a valuable part of their undergraduate preparation by providing hands-on career skills for their major.
- Students may not carry internship coursework as part of an excess credit load.
Minimum Requirements for Academic Internships
Students eligible for internships should have completed 60 credits overall. They should have completed at least 12 credits within their majors, with a major GPA of 2.75 or higher. Students should also speak directly with their program director in order to learn of any additional requirements they need.
Academic Internship Approval Process
- Students should download and complete the internship approval form.
- Visit the CPS Dean’s Office and have the form signed by a Dean. This indicates that a student is academically eligible for an internship.
- Visit the program director/internship coordinator for assistance with placement and final approval.
- Student should enter the internship into Career Link for tracking of hours and logs. CareerLink can be found via MYSJU.
A number of Graduate Assistantships and University Fellowships are granted to various academic departments within each school and college of the University. Graduate Assistantships are also available in administrative departments. Visit our site for more information on applying for a Graduate Assistantship or Fellowship.