Doctoral Fellows – Research
Assist faculty members with scholarly works and research. Such
tasks would include any to all of the following activities:
- Conduct literature searches on appropriate library databases
and search engines e.g., PsycInfo, Medline, PubMed, ERIC, etc.
- Read and abstract journal articles.
- Help in the design or conceptualization of data collection
strategies, develop and test research protocols.
- Develop and implement procedures to insure participants’
- Collect data, run participants though experiments.
- Data entry into Excel, SPSS, SYSTAT or other programs.
- Perform basic statistical analyses.
- Perform advanced statistical analyses. This often involves
learning the syntax for MPlus, AMOS or other programs.
- Make charts and tables from data analyses.
Doctoral Fellow-Software Manager
Assist the department chair in the use of SONA and SPSS
- Operate the SONA software for the Psychology Subject Pool.
- Coordinate the SONA software with the psychology instructors
who want to use it in their undergrad courses.
- Interact with undergrad students who have trouble using
- Operate the SPSS Survey software.
- Teach faculty and students to use the software to collect their
- Interact with IT concerning the software.
Doctoral Fellows –Undergraduate
Assigned to the instructor of PSY 2040.
The duties include:
- Teach the lab sections of PSY 2040.
- Attend the lectures for PSY 2040 and help plan lecture material
- Read writing assignments.
- Meet with students to review material and to support students
who have difficulty in the lab sections. This involves diagnosis of
the learning problems and the development of supportive
intervention strategies to improve performance.
- Plan new and innovative teaching activities and collaborate on
the development of changes to the curriculum each semester.
- Train incoming lab instructors.
- Develop teaching materials for the course.
- Research new teaching methods and evaluate any innovations we
Doctoral Fellows – Graduate Teaching
Assist the Instructors for PSY 603, 608, 614, &
- Teach the Lab sections of these courses 603L, 508L & 614L.
This involves teaching first-year graduate students to use the
statistical software to run basic and advanced statistical analyses
on sample data sets.
Doctoral Fellows – Center for Psych Services
Assigned to CPS
- They are the first voice of the Center for new client call;
receive all telephone calls of new referrals, take information and
help decide the appropriate disposition of the case.
- Assist in research and program evaluation and data entry;
supervise undergrad student research and undergrads that enter
- Develop procedures and workflow documents for determining fee
structure, intake forms, referral information, and resource of
- Develop Public Information resources for mental health
- Manage all psychological test software.
- Develop procedure manuals.
- Instruct undergrad students who work at reception desk.
Doctoral Teaching Fellows
- When needed and no adjunct can be found, Doctoral Fellows have
taught undergraduate sections of PSY1000C, 3270, 3280 under the
supervision of a professor with competence in the area of the
course and who has taught the course.
in Psychological Assessment Courses(Sometimes
doctoral fellows will do this for PSY 660)
- Assist the Instructors of PSY 660, 661, 661B, 662, 662B, 671 in
teaching first year graduate students.
- Maintain and organize the department’s psychological test
- Order new tests, hand scoring protocols, and computer scoring
protocols from publishers.
- Sign out and collect the psychological tests that students need
for class assignments.
- Help students use the psychological scoring software.
- Individually administer competency examination to
Graduate Assistants – Program Administration
Assist Graduate Program Directors in administering
their respective programs by doing the following:
- Administer St. John’s Central groups and communicate
information with students.
- Collect relevant information for the program director.
- Write, edit, or review student handbooks for the program.