The University Archives formerly housed
records of the Eastern Province USA of the Congregation of the
Mission, an evangelizing order founded in Paris by St. Vincent de
Paul in the early 1600s. The Vincentians founded the Church of St.
John the Baptist, St. John’s College, St. John’s Preparatory
School, and St. John’s Seminary, all at the Lewis Avenue (Brooklyn)
campus, between 1868 and 1891. The buildings still stand on the
block bounded by Lewis Avenue, Hart, Willoughby, and Stuyvesant
Streets. The Vincentian records moved in June, 1996, to new
quarters at St. Vincent's Seminary, Philadelphia.
Fr. John Carven, C.M., is the archivist.
St. Vincent's Seminary
The Ducournau Archives
500 East Chelten Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Phone: (215) 713-2434
Fax: (215) 848-5074