The Records Management Department assists
offices in determining which records must be retained for fiscal,
administrative or legal reasons, and for how long. It will
facilitate your off-site storage needs as well, including supplying
boxes and bar-coded labels.
Below are some guidelines to help you in determining the
disposition of your records. This is only a guide. Please call the
Records Manager (x2018) or the University Archivist (x6734) for
Please refer to the Human Resources Policy Manual, Policy Number
1029, for more information.
Examples of records that can be sent to off-site storage
- Those with administrative and/or legal value (e.g. contracts,
- Those with fiscal value (e.g. accounts payable/receivable,
financial aid, purchase orders, and budget records)
- Personnel records (e.g. contracts and agreements, payroll, tax,
benefit plans, and compliance records)
- Student records (e.g. departmental files not older than six
years [graduation year + 6 years]). Note that registrar's student
records are to be retained permanently.
Examples of material that should not be sent off-site
- Photocopies or carbon copies (non-originals)
- Blank forms
Retention and Disposition Schedule – DRAFT