St. John's Prep (St. John's Preparatory
School), 1870-1972, offered preparatory schooling for boys who
wished to enroll in St. John's College. Its teachers and
administrators consisted of Vincentians who also taught in the
College and/or the Seminary.
The original St. John's Prep ceased operations in 1972, but a
merger was effected in 1973 whereby Materchristi High School for
Girls in Long Island City (Queens) commenced coeducational
operations at the latter's facility with the former's name, St.
The St. John's University Archives holds selected originals and
copies of Prep materials, including some yearbooks, and will
include Prep photographs in a digital preservation project.
However, much of the original materials are scheduled to be
transferred into the custody of the new St. John's Prep: 21-21
Crescent, Long Island City, NY 11105, (718) 721-7200.