Chair and Professor, School of Risk Management
Dr. Kwon studied risk management and insurance at The College of Insurance (now the School of Risk Management of St. John’s University) (MBA) and Georgia State University (Ph.D.). He is also a Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) and is listed in the Fulbright Senior Specialist Pool. Prior to joining the School of Risk Management in 2002, he gained experience as an educator with Georgia State University and Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), as an insurance regulator with Monetary Authority of Singapore (Director-Special Projects, Insurance Department) and as an industry specialist with the American Institute for CPCU/IIA (Director-Curriculum). In summer, he visits overseas universities, including National Chengchi University (Taipei, Taiwan) and Hitotsubashi University and Meiji University (both in Tokyo, Japan). He currently represents the faculty of the School of Risk Management.
He helped to establish Asia-Pacific Risk and Insurance Association (APRIA) in 1997. He played a role in the creation in 2005 of the First World Risk and Insurance Economics Congress (WRIEC), a once-in-five year academic forum jointly organized by APRIA, ARIA, EGRIE and The Geneva Association. Professor Kwon organized the Second World Congress in Singapore in July 2010.
He has authored several books. The book co-authored with Harold D. Skipper, Risk Management and Insurance: Perspectives in a Global Economy (Wiley/Blackwell, Boston & London) won the 2009 Kulp-Wright Book Award and is being used by professors in about 15 countries. He also wrote “Risk Management and Insurance in Singapore” and monographs covering 17 Asian countries. He continues to publish papers in academic and professional journals, present research findings at various conferences, and offer services to several academic journals, including his editor service for the Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance. He offers consulting services and special lectures for governments as well as other public and private entities in the U.S. and abroad. He specializes in insurance market and country analysis, insurer financial and operation analysis, and insurance regulation.
His current and recent past capacity includes:
- Fulbright Senior Specialist
- Visiting Professor, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo
- Academic Advisor, International Insurance Foundation
- Review Committee, International Insurance Society
- International Advisory Board, Singapore College of Insurance
- Advisory Board, The Center for Insurance Culture Studies, SungKyunKwan University, Korea
- Fellow, Networks Financial Institute at Indiana State University
- Editorial Board, The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance
- Editorial Board, Journal of Insurance Studies (Korea)
- Editorial Board, The Journal of Risk Management and Insurance (India)
- External Examiner, Ph.D. programs at selected universities
- Past President, Asia-Pacific Risk and Insurance Association (APRIA)
- Organization Committee, World Risk and Insurance Economics Congress 2005 & 2010