In response to the need for teachers in elementary, middle and secondary schools, St. John's University offers a master's degree program that can qualify you for a full-salaried teaching position within one year, even if you attend part-time.
The Master of Science in Education degree program is a part-time program with classes conveniently scheduled in the evenings and summers. Upon successful completion of the first half of the program (seven courses) and successfully passing the New York State Teacher's Certification Examinations, you will be eligible for:
- Internship certification by the State Education department and
- Full-time employment within the surrounding New York metropolitan area as a salaried employee. Teaching opportunities are also available beyond the city's public school system.
After attaining this intermediate certification, you must complete an additional seven courses for the master's degree as well as meet such requirements a set by the State Education Department to be certified. This can be done while employed as a teacher.
M.S. Ed. Program
- Early Childhood
- Childhood and Childhood Special Education (internship)
- Childhood and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Admission Consideration requirements:
- Completed application
- Application fee of $70
- Statement of goals
- Official transcripts from EVERY institution attended showing conferral of degree and satisfactory grade point average
Kelly K. Ronayne
Staten Island Campus*
Advanced Certificate Programs in TESOL or Bilingual Education – ITI
Created to address the shortage of certified bilingual and English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) teachers in New York State, St. John’s University and the ) provide almost total tuition assistance for approved, already certified New York State public school educators and counselors working in grades K-12. View the program Web site for more information about the five certificate programs below:
- ITI Program in Bilingual Education
- ITI Program in Bilingual Special Education
- ITI Program in Teachers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- ITI Program in Teachers of Other Languages (TESOL - Special Education)
- ITI Program in Bilingual Pupil Personnel (PPS)
Tuition Scholarship Application Information
John Spiridakis, Ph.D.
(718) 990 6407
*Both the Childhood and Childhood and Special Education (Internship) programs offered