- International stoles represent the country and academic accomplishments of a student who has studied abroad or is studying in the United States. Individual students can wear a stole at Commencement to show pride in their accomplishment. Please note these stoles are not meant to represent your country of origin.
- If you studied abroad and/or are an international student studying here in the United States, you will be eligible to purchase an international stole during Academic Attire Distribution. The international stoles will be available for purchase at the Herff Jones table for $25. Please note that if you have studied in more than one country, you may select only one international stole to wear at Commencement.
- The international stoles that will be available for purchase are as follows:
- Argentina, Austria, Barbados, Brazil, Chile, China, Ecuador, France, Great Britain, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Africa, Spain and USA
- The Veteran stole can be worn during the Commencement Exercises.
- They are available for purchase at the Herff Jones table for $20 during Academic Attire Distribution.
Stole of Gratitude
- The stole of gratitude can be worn during the Commencement Exercises.
- After the ceremony, traditionally the new graduate presents the stole of gratitude to someone who has provided extraordinary help or support, someone who has provided them with wisdom, guidance, and words of support or with financial assistance.
- The stole of gratitude is available for purchase during Academic Attire Distribution directly from Herff Jones for $25.
- Staten Island Campus Bookstore will be open from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 20.
- Queens Campus Bookstore will be open between 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. from Monday, May 15 thru Friday, May 19 and from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 21.
Ceremony Photography and Video
- Guests will not be able to approach the stage area or graduate seating area prior to the start of the ceremony or the duration of the ceremony for any reason, including photography and videotaping.
- Professional photographers from Grad Images will be present at Academic Attire Distribution to take a photo of graduates in academic attire. They will also be present at the Commencement Exercises to take photographs of graduates as they enter the stage, while shaking the hand of their dean and as they exit the stage.
- Graduates can pre-order their photographs by pre-registering.
- For replacement of photos, please contact Grad Images, Customer Service Department at 1-800-261-2576.
- The Commencement Exercises will be captured on video and a DVD will be made available to graduates.
- Graduates can pre-order their DVD by visiting Graduation Nation.
- Rings can be purchased through Herff Jones.
- Rings will also be available for purchase during Academic Attire Distribution directly from Herff Jones.
- Diploma frames are available for purchase through the Bookstore.
- Personalized St. John's University graduation announcements are available for purchase online from Herff Jones.
- Announcements must be ordered six (6) weeks prior to graduation.
- Graduates receive a plain black tassel with their academic attire.
- Commemorative red and white tassels are available for purchase during Academic Attire Distribution directly from Herff Jones for $10 - $15.