November 2011 Announcement:
We are still currently accepting applications!!! Read below to find
out how you can start taking advantage of all our free
Those eligible for participation include:
- First generation college students whose parents are not college
- Students from low-income households
- Students with a documented physical or learning disability
Participants must be enrolled at St. John's University or
accepted for enrollment in the next academic term. They must also
be a citizen or national of the U.S., or one who meets the
residency requirements for federal student financial
Services Offered through SSS
SSS students benefit from support in the following areas:
- Academic Advisement and Peer Mentoring
- Professional Tutoring
- School Supplies (Notebooks, pens, etc)!
- Access to a private computer lab and free printing!
- Financial/Personal Guidance
- Career Exploration and Development Workshops
- Cultural Activities
- Field trips to Broadway shows and other great places in
- Advisement for entry into graduate/professional school
How to Apply
To download a PDF copy of the application, please click on
"Application" under "Related links" in the top-right corner of this
You may also obtain the application from the SSS Office, located in
St. John's Hall Room 133.Eligible students are admitted into the
program upon completion of an
application form, a personal interview and an academic/career
For more information, please contact Project Director Anna Donnelly
or Debbie Vesey.
St. John’s Hall, Room 133
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11349 (Get
SSS is affiliated with the university's Division of Special
and Opportunity Programs. This division consists of a wide range of
programs that provide academic and other supportive services for
St. John’s students.
Goals of the SSS Program
As one of the U.S. Dept. of Education's federal TRIO programs, the
goals of the SSS Program are to:
- Increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible
- Foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of
low-income and first-generation college students.
SSS Office Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.