St. Vincent de Paul calls upon each of us to use our talents to
the fullest. St. John’s University athletes, through discipline and
hard work, improve their lives and bring honor to their alma mater.
Highlights of our 2004-05 season include:
- The women’s golf team won its first BIG EAST championship, with
four team members earning All BIG EAST honors.
- The baseball team won its first BIG EAST league title since
- The men’s basketball team won the ECAC Holiday Festival, while
the women’s team advanced to the second round of the Women’s
- The men’s soccer team advanced to the Sweet Sixteen for the
ninth straight year and to the Elite Eight for the third time in
four years. The women’s soccer team qualified for its fourth
consecutive BIG EAST tournament.
- Matt Groenwald, senior soccer player, was named first-team All
BIG EAST and the Academic All- American of the Year. He represented
the University at the NCAA Leadership Conference.
- In women’s outdoor track and field, senior Blessing Egwu
qualified for the NCAA regionals by winning the BIG EAST hammer
- In tennis, both the men’s and women’s teams won third place in
their respective BIG EAST tournaments.
- The men’s and women’s fencing teams combined forces to finish
third in the NCAA championships.