Junior Parents Newsletter - Fall
Fall has arrived!
College preparation in Junior Year: Setting an Example
When it comes to preparing for college, parents of high school juniors know that time is of the essence.
Students beginning their junior year should meet with their guidance counselor before the end of October to discuss several important topics, including transcripts, AP classes/exams, and college events hosted in nearby towns and schools.
Your child also will need to take the PSAT, a standardized test that provides firsthand practice for the SAT. Offered in October, the test is an excellent way to determine your child's strengths and weaknesses—areas that could benefit from additional study and practice.
Provide an example by organizing information about the colleges in which your child is interested. Create a special file that includes details about their intended major, financial aid, etc. This may inspire your college-bound student to be equally as organized and proactive.
St. John's University is dedicated to providing students with every opportunity for an outstanding Catholic higher education, and we want to supply you with the tools and information to guide your child to a great college experience.
Top 10 Questions to Ask on a Campus Tour
- What courses do I need to take to be ready for college?
- How should I plan my schedule to ensure I complete those courses?
- Which AP courses should I consider taking?
- How should I study for the SAT, and is it given at this high school or will I need to take it elsewhere?
- Do you have any college planning sessions scheduled?
- Are there any college fairs at this school or nearby?
- If my colleges need a recommendation from you, how can I help you get to know me better to ensure the letter is more personal?
- Are there any special scholarships or awards that I should know about now so that I can work toward them?
- Can I see my transcript as it stands now to see if everything is as I think it should be?
- How does our school compare to others in terms of test scores and reputation?