A Dream Fulfilled:
St. John’s Raises Cross at New Chapel
Queens, NY, April 13 – St. John’s University realized a
130-year-old dream today when the cross was raised atop the new St.
Thomas More Church – the University’s first free-standing
After a special Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel, faculty,
students, administrators and staff marched across the Great Lawn to
gather in front of the new church. Despite intermittent rain, the
campus community watched as the cross was lifted into place.
Scheduled for completion in Fall 2004, the church was made
possible by a generous gift from John Brennan ‘63C, 66L, ’93HON,
and his wife, Anita. It will be the first free-standing church on
St. John’s campus since the University’s founding in 1870.