Simon Geir Møller, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Research
Professor, Biological Sciences
Newman Hall, 230G
- 1995-1998: Ph.D., University of Leeds, Department of Biochemistry, UK
- 1994-1995: Management and employment law, University of Stavanger, Norway
- 1992-1993: M.S. with Distinction, Imperial College, Department of Biochemistry, UK
- 1989-1992: B.S. with Honors, Class I, University of Leeds, Department of Biochemistry, UK
Areas of Responsibility
- Graduate Education and Research
- Faculty member and student mentor in the Department of Biological Sciences
- Continue with an active research laboratory
- The Office of Grants and Sponsored Research will report to Dr. Møller
In addition to his responsibilities at St. John’s University, Dr. Møller also maintains the
- 2014-2017: Senior Advisor Norwegian Centre for Movement Disorders, Stavanger, Norway
- 2007-present: CSO, Plastid AS, Norway
- Biological Sciences area
- 2007-present: Board Member, Plastid AS, Norway
- 2008: Elected member of the Norwegian Academy of Sciences
- 2004: Elected EMBO Young Investigator
- 2013-2016: Member of Graduate Education Policy Committee (GEPC), Department of
- 2013-2016: Member of Personnel and Budget Committee, Department of Biological
- 2012-2015: Seat on the University Senate
- Dr. Møller has authored or coauthored 3 books as well as numerous book chapters.
- Together with others in his field Dr. Møller has published close to 60 Journal articles.
Mohammed Saeid Jami, Ramavati Pal, Estelle Hoedt, Thomas A. Neubert, Jan Petter Larsen and Simon Geir Møller. (2014) Proteome analysis reveals roles of L-DOPA in response to oxidative stress in neurons. BMC Neurosci. 15. 93.
Indranil Basak, Ramavati Pal, Ketan S. Patil, Aisling Dunne, Hsin-Pin Ho, Emmanuel J. Chang, Jodi Maple-Grødem, Jan Petter Larsen and Simon Geir Møller (2014) Arabidopsis AtPARK13. J. Biol. Chem. 289. 14458-14469.
Benny Björkblom, Jodi Maple-Grødem, Jan Petter Larsen and Simon Geir Møller (2014) Oxidative stress-induced DJ-1 monomerization modulates intracellular trafficking involving PY-NLS coupled Karyopherin β2 transport. Mol. Cell. Biol. 34. 3024-3040.
Ketan Patil, Indranil Basak, Sungsu Lee, Jan Petter Larsen and Simon Geir Møller (2014) PARK13 regulates PINK1 and subcellular relocation patterns under oxidative stress in neurons. J. Neurosci. Res. 92. 1167-1177.
Ramavati Pal, Guido Alves, Jan Petter Larsen and Simon Geir Møller (2014). New insight into neurodegeneration: The role of proteomics. Mol. Neurobiol. 49. 1181-1199.
Mohammed Gebriel, Shubhangi Prabhudesai, Kai-Erik Uleberg, Eivind Larssen, Dominik Piston, Anne Hjelle Bjørnstad and Simon Geir Møller (2014) Zebrafish Brain Proteomics Reveals Central Proteins Involved In Neurodegeneration. J. Neurosci. Res. 92. 104-115.
- Dr. Møller has been an Assigned Inventor on nine patents
Previously held positions at St. John's University
- Graduate Director, Department of Biological Sciences
- Professor (tenured)Department of Biological Sciences
Since 2002, Dr. Møller has secured over 12 million dollars in extramural research funding. Presently, he has a research grant from Norwegian’s Research Council that will continue until 2015. Three additional research grants from the West of Norway Health Authority, The Norwegian Centre for Movement Disorders and The Norwegian Parkinson’s Disease Association will continue until 2016.
Since 2001, Dr. Møller has been invited to be a Plenary Speaker or Speaker at over 40 conferences on topics related to his field. He has also chaired or organized several conferences in the area of Biological Sciences.