Student Support Services
Student Support Services (SSS) is accepting applications! Read below to find out how you can start taking advantage of all our free services.
Those eligible for participation include:
- First generation college students whose parents are not college graduates
- Students from low-income households
- Students with a documented physical or learning disability
Participants must be enrolled at St. John's University or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term. They must also be a citizen or national of the U.S., or one who meets the residency requirements for federal student financial assistance.
Services Offered through Student Support Services
SSS students benefit from support in the following areas:
- Academic Advisement and Peer Mentoring
- Professional Tutoring
- Supplies (Notebooks, pens, etc)!
- Access to a private computer lab and free printing!
- Financial/Personal Guidance
- Career Exploration and Development Workshops
- Cultural Activities
- Field trips to Broadway shows and other great places in NYC!
- Advisement for entry into graduate/professional school
- Grant in Aid is given to active participants who are in need of financial assistance and meet the GPA academic year requirement.
How to Apply
You may also obtain the application from the Student Support Services Office, located in St. John's Hall Room 133. Eligible students are admitted into the program upon completion of an application form, a personal interview and an academic/career assessment.
For more information, please contact Project Director Anna Donnelly.
Student Support Servicesis affiliated with the university's Division of Special and Opportunity Programs. This division consists of a wide range of programs that provide academic and other supportive services for St. John’s students.
Goals of the SSS Program
As one of the U.S. Dept. of Education's federal TRIO programs, the goals of the SSS Program are to:
- Increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible students.
- Foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of low-income and first-generation college students.
Student Support Services Office Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
St. John’s Hall, Room 133
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11349