- Who is eligible for the Fall 2016 Academic Computing Initiative (Laptop Program)?
- What is the Laptop Usage Fee?
- What are the benefits of opting-in to the ACI Program?
- Am I required to opt-in to the ACI?
- Am I at a disadvantage if I don’t opt-in to the SJU ACI program?
- Do any academic programs recommend a specific laptop?
- How do I opt in and chose a laptop?
- Can I change laptop models after I make a selection?
- Can I opt-out of the program?
- Can I opt-in to the program at any time?
- Can current SJU students opt-in to the program?
- What happens if I leave the University?
- What do I do if my SJU laptop needs repair?
- What is covered on the laptop?
- What if my laptop is stolen?
- What if I lose my laptop?
- Do I keep my laptop over the breaks between semesters?
- What happens to the laptop when I graduate?
Who is eligible for the Fall 2016 Academic Computing Initiative (Laptop Program)?
All new incoming full time undergraduate freshman and transfers students who have satisfied their financial obligations to the University are eligible. Please refer to the Academic Computing Initiative (ACI) portion of our Computer and Network Use Policy for all the details.
What is the Laptop Usage Fee?
All students that participate in the Academic Computing Initiative Program are charged a Laptop Usage Fee each semester until they graduate. This fee includes the on-site support services, 4 year extended warranty, 4 year accidental damage protection, and 3 years of theft on the laptop.
What are the benefits of opting-in to the ACI Program?
- On-campus certified Support Center assistance
- Full warranty support, including accidental damage protection
- Laptop loaner program, if your laptop is checked in for repairs
- Theft insurance to cover replacements
- Pre-installed software in full compliance with St. John’s requirements
- Upon graduation, you may keep the laptop
Am I required to opt-in to the ACI?
You are not required to opt-in to the SJU Academic Computing initiative. However, SJU strongly recommends that all incoming first year students who do not have a personal laptop consider the program. The laptops that are part of the ACI program are robust systems that come with pre-installed software designed for the SJU environment. The laptops also have extensive warranty coverage which includes an extended manufacturer warranty for 4 years, as well as 4 years of accidental damage protection.
Am I at a disadvantage if I don’t opt-in to the SJU ACI program?
We want you to feel at home on campus, in class, and on-line. So, do not hesitate to bring your own laptop if you believe that will help bring you academic success. Just note that the support provided through St. John’s University’s Academic Computing Initiative will be unavailable to students that bring their own laptop. Students who bring personal laptops may be required to purchase and install software required for classes. If you are unsure of your software needs, please consult with your academic department. Please review the minimum requires.
Do any academic programs recommend a specific laptop?
- College of Professional Studies Computer Science students are advised to select a Windows Laptop
- College of Professional Studies Mass Communication students are advised to select the Apple Laptop.
- Tobin College of Business students are advised to select a Windows Laptop. The Apple laptop does not support certain applications used in business core courses.
- St. John’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Bachelor of Fine Arts students are advised to select the Apple Laptop.
How do I opt in and chose a laptop?
In order to opt-in and select a laptop you will need to log into the UIS system.
From the menu choose “Student”, “New Student Information”, “Admissions”, then “Choose Your Laptop”, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
Please note: You will have 6 weeks from the start of the semester to opt-in to the ACI Program and choose your laptop. If you do not opt-in prior to the 6 week deadline period, you cannot opt-in at a later date.
Can I change laptop models after I make a selection?
If you would like to modify your laptop choice, simply log back into UIS and change your selection. Changes will be honored until the laptop is picked up by the student.
Can I opt-out of the program?
Can I opt-in to the program at any time?
No, you can only opt into the ACI Program within the first 6 weeks from the start of your first semester.
Please note: You will have 6 weeks from the start of the semester to opt into the ACI Program and choose your laptop. If you do not opt-in prior to the 6 week time period you cannot opt-in at a later date.
Can current SJU students opt-in to the program?
What happens if I leave the University?
If you leave the University you are required to return the laptop to one of the on-site support centers listed below:
Sullivan All Room 103
Staten Island Campus
DaSilva Hall Room 108
If you do not return the laptop, the University will bill you for a non-return charge of $800.00. Please see our ACI portion of our Computer Network Use Policy.
What do I do if my SJU laptop needs repair?
Simply visit one of our on-site support centers located on Queens and Staten Island Campus.
Sullivan All Room 103
Staten Island Campus
DaSilva Hall Room 108
Lenovo – Please call 1-800-426-7378
Apple MacBooks – You can visit any local Apple Stores for assistance with manufacturer defects only. Any accidental damage you will need to visit the on campus support center. Find a local Apple Store.
Microsoft: Please call 1-877-696-7786 or visit a local Microsoft Center. Find a store near you.
What is covered on the laptop?
All of the laptops that are provided through the ACI Program are covered for 4 years of manufacturer defects, as well as 4 years of accidental protection. This covers any accidental spill, drops, and structural failures incurred under normal operating conditions or handling.
What is NOT covered is any cosmetic damage, fire, or damage due to negligence or inappropriate use.
- The Type Cover Keyboard and the stylus pen for the MS Surface Pro have a 1 year limited warranty and are not covered under the accidental damage protection.
- Batteries on all models have a limited one year warranty, and are not covered under the accidental damage protection.
- AC Adapters on all models have a 4 year limited warranty, and are not covered under the accidental damage protection.
- Type covers, batteries, ac adapters and the stylus pens are available to purchase at the on-site support centers on both the Queens and Staten Island Campus, as well as the Apple Store and Microsoft Store.
- Repairs not covered under Insurance: Cosmetic damage, damage due to fire, negligence or inappropriate use. If the laptop is in need of any repairs due to the items listed above, you will be responsible for the cost of the repair.
Software that came on the ACI laptops are supported, and can be reinstalled at one of the on-campus support centers. However, we do not provide data recovery. Students are responsible to back up their own data on a consistent basis. See below for backing up your data specific to the laptop model:
What if my laptop is stolen?
As part of the SJU ACI program, the laptop has theft covered for three years. In the event of a theft, you must report the incident to a Law Enforcement Agency within 10 days. The report must include the make, model, and serial number of the stolen property. A copy of the report must be submitted to the University within 20 days. A claim will be submitted to the insurance company. Upon approval, a refurbished replacement laptop will be issued to you. While your claim is being reviewed, a loaner laptop will be assigned to you.
Please note: If your claim is denied or you do not submit the proper paperwork within the required timeframe, you will be charged a stolen fee. A fee of $400 for the first stolen machine and $1000 for the second stolen machine. Once that fee is paid you will receive a refurbished replacement laptop (same model as the one reported stolen).
Steps to take:
- Contact your local law Enforcement Agency and report theft within 10 days.
- Contact the St. John’s University Public Safety office within 20 days along with a copy of the Law Enforcement Agency report.
- If approved, a refurbished replacement laptop of the same model laptop that was reported stolen will be issued to you.
- If the claim is denied, a stolen fee will be placed on your account.
What if I lose my laptop?
Unfortunately, lost laptops are not covered under the Safeware insurance policy. A fee of $400 for the first loss and $1000 for the second loss will be placed on your account.. Once the lost fee is paid you will received a refurbished replacement laptop; the same model laptop that was reported lost.
Steps to take:
- Report your lost laptop to the St. John’s University Public Safety Department.
- Pay the $400 or $1000 lost fee at the Bursar office and bring receipt to the Laptop Repair Center to have replacement refurbished laptop issued to you.
Do I keep my laptop over the breaks between semesters?
What happens to the laptop when I graduate?
Upon graduation, you may keep the laptop. Please refer to the ACI portion of our Computer and Network Use Policy.